Many of you may never have planned a class like this, so we want to be as helpful to you as we can. Here is a short outline to help you get going.
Step-by-Step, Where to Start?
Step 1 – Establish Feasibility
Step 2 – Gather Information
Step 3 – Create Plan of Action for T.A.K.E. Defense Class
Step 4 – Execute the Plan
Step 5 – T.A.K.E. Defense Class Day
Step 6 – Follow up
Step 1 — Establish Feasibility
- Find your internal support group and form committees or work groups.
- Find external support groups such as other chapters and campus organizations.
- Determine the number of women you expect may attend so the class can be realistically supported..
- Securing the venue may seem easy but it historically is one of the biggest challenges. Plan early.
- Review all budget costs. (Many chapters and organizations set a minimum donation they would like to give to T.A.K.E. Defense. Please refer to our fundraising page for ideas.)
Step 2 — Gather Information
- Learn more about T.A.K.E. Defense by utilizing the information on this website.
- Reach out to women’s groups within your community and on your campus to see if they would be interested in getting involved.
- Utilize all the information on our university tour pages within this website to learn more about what other chapters and organizations have done to be successful.
Step 3 — Create a Plan of Action
- Create a task list / timeline.
- Secure a venue.
- Market the class.
- Meet and discuss each component of the class with committee or work group.
- Define all actions necessary, who will complete them and completion target dates.
- Create a list of resources.
- Create a contact list.
- Post class information such as photos, fundraising, and class details will be requested from T.A.K.E. Defense to highlight you on our university tour pages.
Step 4 — Execute the Plan
- Review progress against timeline.
- Share information and ideas with work group.
- Coordinate tasks.
- Follow up, follow up, follow up.
Step 5 — Class Day
- Be early for everything.
- Be in contact with T.A.K.E. Defense trainers as they are in a new environment and will rely on you for directions and guidance.
- Be sure to thank everyone involved in the class.
- Troubleshoot any questions or problems.
- Plan to participate in the self defense yourself.
- Allow time for setup and cleanup.
Step 6 — Follow up
- Meet with committee or work group to discuss successes and difficulties. Create a list of potential improvements for your next T.A.K.E. Defense class.
- Donation check should be sent as soon as possible to: The Ali Kemp Educational Foundation 6518 Vista Dr., Shawnee, KS 66218.
- Return all rented or borrowed materials.
- Information for university tour page coordinated with T.A.K.E. Defense office.